Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 8 (of 22) riding ...

Port Orford, OR to Crescent City, CA
Staying at Foursquare Gospel Church
85.1 miles today, average pace 13.2 mph
Total ascent 3,852 feet (grades mostly 4% to 6%)
Weather was perfect today. A little chilly this morning, but it turned warmer as the day progressed. Sunny and gorgeous the rest of the day. 



I rode near the back with Carmen almost all day. She had a flat about 10 miles into the ride, but after that we had no trouble. Carmen seems to be getting stronger every day, and is riding quite well; she continues to improve so much from when she started the East Coast ride.
T.O.M. (The Old Man), however, was struggling today. The first 25 miles were just fine, but somewhere on the next 20 miles the left knee started hurting, then it was ok, then it bothered again. By the time I got to the last 20 miles, I could not even get up out of my saddle. I did my exercises at the church before dinner, and my IT band was really sore. We have showers at the church, so it’s much easier to get the exercises in when we don’t have to load up in the van to go to showers like we have to do at most church locations. We need more hours in the day on these adventures! The hours just seem to fly on the ride, then before we know it, it’s lights out to be ready for an early breakfast, then time to ride again.
***A group headed out for a 1.5 mile walk for ice cream, and they asked me if I wanted to go. I fought with all my might, but after 85 miles pedaling, I didn’t have much resistance. My chocolate malt was only a 7.0 tonight, but the large bacon hamburger and fries were very good. Not something worth starting a rating system for, but very good.
After we finished eating food and ice cream Turbo Tom suggested taking a cab back, and I quickly got on board with that idea. It took a bit of arm twisting, but Chris finally agreed to the cab ride also. Jenn said she wanted to walk back because she claimed she has gained weight, and Eric decided to walk with her; imagine that! The folks at the restaurant called the cab for us, and they told us how nice the cab drivers are here. Sure enough, after telling Rick, the cabbie, why we are in town, he wouldn’t take any money for the cab ride. So, I gave Allen the money the cab would have cost, as a donation to The Fuller Center. So, thanks, Rick, the cabbie!
We have started our second segment, have gone from Washington to Oregon, and today we crossed into California, where we’ll spend the rest of the trip. California really is a long state, eh?
Peace ...

No comments:

Post a Comment