Thursday, March 21, 2013

Another 'helping hand' day ...

But first, I have to give a 9 rating to a chocolate malt at Baskin Robbins (Tuesday evening - yum)!!

Wednesday: Today it gets down to why we ride. With 33 of us available, we split up into two groups. One group did roofing and yard work, my group helped a family with a new kitchen floor, a new bedroom floor, tearing out then replacing sheetrock, and finishing a ramp. With my limited physical abilities I do feel bad that I can't help as much as I would like. So, I started out going to the local building supply store, and purchased needed tools and supplies. We had a late start to the day, and shopping took a while. Then I puttered around, trying to stay out of the way of the more able workers. 

But, after lunch, I started to hang around those working on the ramp. We only had a handsaw to cut the boards, so my extra weight (!?!) came in handy as I sat or stood on the lumber, holding it secure so it could be cut by someone else. I’m able to anticipate what needs to be done, so was helpful getting things ready for someone else to use. Jack was in charge of this work crew, but he also had the only car on site, and had to make a run to the store. So, I found myself being the one who, by elimination, knew the most about how to proceed with our project. I ended up measuring, cutting, and drilling the boards to fit properly. I ACTUALLY felt useful on the worksite for a few hours. 

Harper and Matthew had been helping inside most of the morning, then she came out and started to help on the deck. Matthew helped her learn to use the hammer, wood chisel, and saw. Harper also had two great suggestions on how to proceed with the project. This Harper girl is A-OK.

OK, pass the cheese, because I'm not allowed to whine (wine) on the ride, so I have to do it here. We had a great build day, but I had a very achey shoulder after dinner and as I was trying to get to sleep. Sigh.

Writing my blog is fun, but I must admit it’s time consuming for me. I started this blog early this morning (Thursday) because I had no time last night, but didn’t have time to finish. So, I’ll just stop, shower, get ready for dinner, then try to write today's blog before bedtime. 

Peace … 

No comments:

Post a Comment