Sunday, May 1, 2011

Five weeks left to train …

40 days to report for action in Seattle

The good news is that I made my goal of at least 210 miles, finishing with 212, and 20 hours in the saddle. Next week’s goal is 240 miles. The wind is still my friend, but you know how it is when friends stay too long? Almost wore out my brakes trying to keep from being blown into Kansas with the wind at my back on the way home the other day.

The bad news is I did not lose any weight; still at 198 lbs. But, I figure since I lost 4 lbs last week, I’m still on track for 2 lbs per week. Oops, just counted weeks. I started at 210 lbs eight weeks ago, so I should be down to 194 lbs. So now I’m 4 lbs over my goal! I just checked my bike log, and last week it registered 10,766 calories burned! Now, I have to wonder, how many calories are in a root beer float? This could be depressing.

Our Anthem Ranch riding club started riding last week. On Tuesdays we ride an easy 20 miles or so; Wednesdays we ride in the mountains about 15 - 30 miles; Thursdays, a short social ride to the local pub; and Fridays, our long flat ride of about 30-45 miles. Weather is still a little sketchy, so turnout is not great yet. I want to ride with them, but my training does not always allow it (as I need longer rides) especially the pub stop.

Practicing putting pictures in my blog. This is a Great Horned Owl nest that is on one of my regular routes.

Great Horned Owls do not build their own nests, this was a crow nest last year.



A good week riding:
Monday - 37 miles
Tuesday - day off to work a raptor program at a school (we brought a screech owl, an American Kestrel, a Harris’s Hawk and a Golden Eagle--kids love it, and I love showing the birds!)
Wednesday - 55 miles with a stop for lunch halfway
Thursday - 74 miles to Carter Lake Reservoir
Friday - 31 miles with bike club
Saturday - 15 miles to reach goal for week of 210 miles
Sunday - day off for church and rest; maybe a ping pong match to keep me moving a little bit

Peace

2 comments:

  1. Why is the Great Horned Owl so lazy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lazy is lazy. They also don't do much to teach the young to hunt. Once they fledge, they better have the instinct to hunt or they starve, because mom has done all she is going to do and she is off. They are also not the brightest raptors.

    ReplyDelete