Saturday, March 5, 2011

Riding …..

Two rides in finally. I rode last Monday, before I received the cortisone shot, and I just finished my second ride today. Both rides about 10 miles in about an hour, but a start. I will be riding within the guidelines of my heart monitor to make sure I do not overdue this old system. I am now 68 years old and will be 69 when the ride starts. I look around our 55+ community, and realize how blessed Lois and I are with our overall good health.

Looking back, I have only ridden nine times in the last 6 months. Which explains why I have gained about 25 lbs over the last year. Total inactivity and poor eating habits, and I now tip the scales at about 210 lbs. Mostly in my waistline. I was down to about 180, so my goal is to lose that 25 lbs before we start the ride. That is reasonable at about 2 lbs per week. I know it will make me feel better, and be much better for me. The cortisone shot seems to be working nicely. No more pain in my butt, and the numb toes seem to be coming back. Even if this is as good as it gets, it was worth it, and I am hoping for even more progress. The problem is the docs don’t know how long the relief will last. Anywhere from only a couple of weeks to a year or more. I am choosing the year or more.

Gotta find more time to get on the bike between the snow forecast activities, and the colder weather. Dry pavement and anything over 40 degrees and I am good to go.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing to do! You are inspiring so many I'll bet!- Melanie @ Anthem Ranch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about how many I inspire, I am still working on myself. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete