Sunday, May 8, 2011

Four weeks left to train ...

 33 days to report for action in Seattle



 Same Great Horned Owl nest as last week, but from the first time I found them. Mamma is stepping gingerly over the babies before flying off. She did not like me stopping for pictures.


Found out this week a quick way to loose weight. Just get sick for a few days. I am now at 195 lbs, only 3 lbs over my goal. Had to cut my Thursday ride short, and spent Friday and most of Saturday in bed. Still not feeling well enough to get on my bike, so I’m way short of my 240 miles for the week. I did start the week strong, so I ended up with 171 miles and almost 16 hours in the saddle. I was hoping for two 75 mile days this week, but will just have to do it next week.

We now have 25 whole way riders, plus our van driver, and another 31 riders doing one or more week long segments. That is a total of 57 people on this adventure. What a statement we will make as we ride across the country!

What a bunch of neat people we have on this ride. You should go to the Fuller Center page, button on right, and read about them. When I was getting serious about signing up for this adventure I was worried about raising the money. I hate to ask people for money, but I was recently reading an interview given by one of my fellow riders, Loyal Mehnert, and he said:

“… by not giving a little, you miss out on the chance of making a real difference. When I head off on these wild travelanthropic adventures, it’s not $10,000 donations that roll in. It’s $25, it’s $50, it’s $100. That may not sound like a lot but when you have dozens or hundreds of people pitching in, we all truly become part of something much larger than ourselves. You may not even meet the people who benefit from the charity you’re donating to. But know that for the rest of their lives, they will be thankful to the strangers that took a minute out of their day to donate or a weekend to volunteer. That tiny bit of time or money you gave will radically change their lives.”
 

So, why am I riding, and donating to my own ride? Simply to make a difference in the lives of people who need a little help.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment